Should You Worry about Your A/C during a Heat Wave?
Summer has hit us with full force in the month of August. It’s almost like Mother Nature is trying to squeeze four months of heat into two. With temperatures in Ontario reaching extreme highs at times, what happens to your air conditioner?
Most air conditioners are made to work within a range of temperatures that are more typical in their climates. When the temperature rises above or approaches heat wave type temperatures, your air conditioner can start to have difficulty or even malfunction – which is the last thing you want to happen during a heat wave.
When approaching these temperatures, your system will have a plateau cooling temperature, especially a system that’s working inefficiently. There is no way to make your system cool faster, it can only work longer. So, when you set your thermostat lower on extra hot days, your system could be working non-stop yet not be able to cool to that desired temperature. As a result:
- Your energy bills will rise due to an increased workload from your air conditioner.
- Your system will experience more wear and tear, making it vulnerable to breakdowns.
Those are somewhat expected during a heat wave, but by lightening the load on your air conditioner, you can help prevent either from happening. Here are three tips that can help your air conditioner run more efficiently during a heat wave:
- Regular Maintenance: This is the most important tip. By having your system serviced regularly, it will run more efficiently and you’ll be able to find potential problems early in their development.
- Change Your Filter: Your filter will build up a great deal of dirt and debris through its operating season. By changing the filter, your system will have less airflow restriction, thus allowing it to work more efficiently.
- Lighten the Load: By adding extra dehumidifiers, an ERV or a programmable thermostat, you’ll be able to make your air conditioner’s job easier. The extra dehumidifier and ERV will allow for your home to remain more comfortable at higher temperatures so your air conditioner isn’t required to run non-stop. The programmable thermostat will allow you to plan your days better so that your system isn’t working hard when it doesn’t need to.
To increase the efficiency of your system and prepare it for anything summer throws your way, set up a service appointment with Special Gas Services today!